In this post I have continued describing how I made the Big Sister Helmet (See here for first post). I will now guide you in the process of detailing. This is how far I came last time:
The paint job
Before painting I still needed to sand and add more filler to get an even surface.
It was really hard to find the right shade of bronze; this is the result of three different types and a brown and rust weathering treatment.
More Details have been added before the paint job, like the light covers (which are soy trays that come with take away sushi). There are three red lights on the helmet - The blue light-cover on top of the helmet is the cap of a hairspray bottle. (I love this kind of low tech prop making, and it is cheap)
After the paint was done I started to the weathering process - see my skyrim helmet tutorial for more details about weathering.
For rust details I used orange paint along all the outer tubes and used a sponge to even the color out. And little fishes were added on the back.
The helmet and chest piece was fixed together using duct tape, in case I need to take them apart.
The wiring is very simple 11 LED connected in series, 7 red and 2 blue. Remember to use a resistor when working with LEDs.
I figured I might like some fresh air while inside my suit, so I made it possible to open the port hole using a small hinge and velcro. Taking advantage of this I placed a small switch in front, so I could turn the lights on and off at will.
In conclusion this was a fun, but very demanding project.
The finished helmet for my Bioshock Cosplay
Photo: Aslak Sødal