onsdag 11. november 2015

Building Mercy's Caduseus staff (Overwatch)

When I first saw the the reveal trailer for Overwatch I knew I had to cosplay Mercy. And I couldn't do that with out a mechanical Caduceus Staff :D My goal was to have it spin clockwise and glow yellow and counter clockwise and glow blue as it does in the trailer. Here's the tutorials for the wings and the overall costume

The build itself doesn't have that many new points, you have all seen worbla work on my page before. But the electronics in this project I must say that I love. Might seem simple at first, but it took some thinking, which I gladly share with you. 

So the first half of this tutorial will be about the circuit and the second about the actual build and assembly. I have included small videos for each step, but in the end of the tutorial there is a full video showing everything. 

You might know a lot about circuitry or maybe nothing at all. Hopefully I can explain this in a way so you can make use of this feature.  

Basic electronics  - how to make a led glow?
Very simple said, you need a battery and a led (and a resistor if the voltage is too high for the led). 

To make it more practical you can add a switch. You should note that an LED will only light up if the current goes the right way, meaning from the positive of the battery to the positive of the LED. You can read more about LEDs on wikipedia.


Photo: Wikipedia

How to light up two colors not at the same time, but on one circuit?
For this you need a two way switch, so when it is in position 1 the current flows thought one circuit and in position 2 it flows thought the other. I think of it like train changing tracks :)


I also did this for my portal gun when I first built it. 

How to make something spin?
For this you first need a small EL motor, if you put power to it it will spin and if you reverse the power direction it will spin the other way. 



But how to make it spin both ways without flipping the battery?
For this you need a switch that can turn the current flow for you, a normal three way switch won't do that. You need a DPDT switch. 

This is a rough sketch of my diagram, showing one battery, one switch, one el motor and yellow and blue lights. For my actual circuit the led will be set in parallel as it draws less voltage. 
For this test I have only added two blue lights, one to glow when it spins clockwise and the other to glow as it spins counter clockwise. For my final circuit I added two blue/yellow for the front, one blue/yellow for the symbols indicating if the staff is healing or boosting, and two yellow (only) for a "on-indicator" lights that glows yellow for both options. 


And here's my first demo after getting the parts together. 


To make it light out through the tip I made the base of the tip out of transparent plastic. After building the staff I found this switch over at adafruit that could have helped a lot :)

Then the build
Okey, I now know hot to make it spin and glow, let's build the body of the staff to have something to put the electronics in ;)

To be able to transport my staff I divided into three using soda bottle caps as my was of attaching them together again. The staff main body is made out of a pvc pipe with details of foam and worbla wrapped over. 

The light up control panel with the healing/damage boost symbols. 

All the electronics were embedded in the first third of the staff. 

To make the front part spin I had to make sure it was as light weight as possible. And I needed three identical parts for the "wings". Therefore I made a base in clay (with a core out of tin foil).

Then I wrapped worbla around the mold, peeled it off and got a hollow shape. Did this two more times and I had all three. Then very carefully I added the underside. 




The "wings" are attached with 3 mm bolts so they can be takes off for easier transportation. 


Now we are ready for painting, all parts were spray painted dark grey and white. 




Adding more shading and details. The battery can be changed from the first screw joint. 




Final staff



If you are interested here's the full tutorial video. 

32 kommentarer:

  1. Hi again.
    What kind of wiring did you use and what type of battery? Thank you so much.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hi :) Normal wiring I guess, I don't know the thickness, but you can see it on a photo up in the post. Same for the battery, I used one 9V battery for everything.

      Slett
  2. Hi again.
    What kind of wiring did you use and what type of battery? Thank you so much.

    SvarSlett
  3. Hello! What size motor did you use?

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Not sure of dimensions. It is the one from the test video further up. And it fit inside a 30mm (diameter) tube without problem. :)

      Slett
  4. hello there! your staff looks amazing and i was just wondering where you got the leds the motor and the switches? thank you so very much!

    SvarSlett
  5. I was just wondering how you got the templates and everything for the staff? Great job by the way I really love this cosplay!

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hi, I made the blueprints based on the reference pictures, see Blizzards site for the cosplay reference kit :)

      Slett
  6. Hello -- just wondering how long the battery lasted? Did you need to change it often?

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hi, I have only changed the battery once, so it lasts pretty long. (Bring a spare if you are afraid it will stop) :)

      Slett
  7. Hello! How long did the whole costume take to build? :) great tutorial by the way!

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hi, I spent three weeks building this cosplay

      Slett
  8. Hi
    WHere did you get the Motor for the circular motion ?

    SvarSlett
  9. Hi. I bought the el motor at dx.com :)

    SvarSlett
  10. Hello Chrix, this is amazing!

    How do you prevent the led wires from tangling/twisting as you use the motor?

    thank you!
    Jenn

    SvarSlett
  11. There are no wires beyond the "spinning" part. The tip is attached on a transparent disk, so the lights shine through from behind the motor. :)

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Good to know! And another question, if that's okay: what voltage is your motor> I can only find 6 and 12v buy you have a 9v battery.

      Slett
  12. Can I buy this from you? Lol i have no idea how to do the electronics

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hi, sorry. I'm using it with my costume :)

      Slett
  13. do you know how many rpm your motor has? :D

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Sorry, I don't remember (so oo get since I made it). I bought several motors with different rpm and did a timer test to choose the one with the best rpm

      Slett
  14. Hi, ive been trying to recreate the circuit in general and have found it really dificult to replicate. As of the minute i have gotten the motor to run one way but it wont run the other, if you were able to supply a picture on which wire connects to each component it would be much appreciated as i cannot get my head around the circuit diagram.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hi. The switch and all wires are now covered with worbla, so no photo possibilities there. But if you google DPDT Switch wiring you'll get many videos and such explaining how to use the switch :)

      Slett
  15. How much did it cost to make the staff?

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hi, I'm sorry, but I have no idea. I had several of the electronic components already and I got some of the material from left over projects. Good luck :)

      Slett
  16. How much rpm did the motor have

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Sorry, I don't really remember. I bought several motors with different rpm to see which matched the Staff animations from the game :/

      Slett
  17. Hey, here is a good helper named Glow Wire Tester may solve your problem.

    SvarSlett
  18. Hey,so how long is the PVC pipe you used?

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. I think it was 1,8 meter (then I removed a little piece to switch out for the motor and such)

      Slett
  19. hi!
    I really love how you built the staff and posted instructions on how to build it!!
    With your help I will probably be able to create my first electronical cosplay prop!
    I just have some questions:

    Did you add the second set of LEDs in parallel as well?
    Is there any possibility of you posting the final circuit diagram?
    I am trying to figure out which things to buy and am a bit lost with all the different voltages and amperes. Any chance that you could give more detailed specifications on the objects you bought/used?

    If you can't help it's fine, this tutorial is already a big help!

    Good luck with your future cosplays!

    SvarSlett